Monday, February 7, 2011

St. Augustine to Titusville





I left St. Augustine Saturday morning, and had a delightful motorsail down to an anchorage in a cut that had been chiseled out of the shoreline to give access to a cement plant, now closed. It was a secure, very well protected place, with a little turning/swinging basin at the end. My new friends Hans and Laura, with their dog, Wilbur, joined me. We had a pleasant evening on their Island Packet Catamaran, Knotty Cat.

The next night I paid the (relatively) big bucks to stay in the downtown Daytona marina. I went to a sports bar to watch the Super Bowl, ate some bad bar food and went back to Harvey at the half. Still don't know who won, but I bet it aint Pittsburg! Daytona is a disturbingly depressed place, with every 3rd. storefront vacant, and many signs proclaiming bank foreclosure sales.
FYI, the hot tip for a marina in Daytona is the 7 Seas, far from town, but only 2 blocks to the beach.

Today I got an early start and had 6 very pleasant hours of motorsailing in progressively warmer temps, then a cold front came in and things got ugly. Howling winds, I guess 25+, dead on the nose, rain, and rapidly falling temperature. I made it into Titusville, but it took me 2 hours to make the last 5 miles.

I'm going to spend a few days here--they have an aircraft museum and a space exploration museum I want to go to, plus I need to change Harvey's oil, clean up, etc. I'll try to attach some photos of Harvey at St. Augustine, Knotty Cat, and an O'Day 20 I met while waiting for a bridge opening, with a young couple and a big dog living aboard--from New York.

3 Comments:

At February 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Laura and Hans said...

You're right, it wasn't Pittsburgh! Our Knotty Cat looks so majestic and she thanks you for that picture (she's loves attention). I'm loving that big dog in the small boat and now I don't feel so crazy for having a pit bull aboard.
We hope the weather is much better for our trip to Titusville tomorrow, we clocked 36 knot winds at our Marina this afternoon.

 
At February 7, 2011 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Tracy Barrett said...

Looks beautiful! Glad you figured out how to post more than 1 photo at a time. Enjoy the weather; there's snow on the ground AGAIN and as you can imagine, the canines aren't thrilled to go out in it.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 
At February 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Laura Beth said...

I like the direction your photos are going (dogs) but all those boats look alike to me! More dog photos!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home