Saturday, March 19, 2011

Snorkeling, Molasses Reef


Today Lou, Chase, and I took the Jubilee (Lou's powerboat) out to Molasses reef. Every time I do this I am struck again by the beauty of the world we live in. The brilliance of the colors of the reef fish are not to be believed! One that I saw that was especially remarkable was a Queen Angelfish--and a hundred others that I wasn't able to identify. The bouyancy of the water is amazing--I could literally lie on the surface, breath through my snorkel, and watch the parade of blues, greens, yellows, scarlets, blacks, oranges--you name a color, I saw it! I had been able to buy a "skin suit"--kind of like a wetsuit but without any insulating value--but it does protect you from jellyfish or coral stings, and contributes a bit of bouyancy as well. I was surprised at how difficult it was to dive down, and was doubly surprised at the speed with which I came to the surface when I stopped kicking downwards.

During our last snorkeling expedition Lou had said that he thought that my mustache was the cause of the mask leakage I was experiencing. I shaved the mustache, and found that he was right--a small price to pay for better snorkeling! Truly a remarkable day! Thanks, Lou! Thanks, Chase!

1 Comments:

At March 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM , Blogger Jan Works said...

Very nice pic, Greg! Makes me want to try snorkeling again ... it's been years! We're sitting in northern Ariz. watching it snow outside; indeed it's a weird and wonderful world we live in. Hugs, Jan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home