Thursday, April 21, 2011

Key Largo, Again








This has been a wonderful trip. I got down to Key Largo Sunday night, and midday Monday Chase and I had Harvey provisioned and ready to go. We sailed out to Molasses Key to snorkel in beautifully clear water, and we were lucky enough to have a Spotted Eagle Ray swim right under us! It was an extraordinarily beautiful thing, and had to be 6 feet across.

When we were done snorkeling we put out Harvey's headsail and had a delightful downwind sail all the way to Rodreguiz Key--Lou was especially tickled that we were able to go all that way without burning a drop of fuel--we anchored out and had a great steak dinner after watching a beautiful sunset.

The next morning we got up to heavy winds, and had a good sail for a couple of hours--Harvey even bumped up against 7 knots a couple of times. The most notable thing was sailing alongside an old wooden boat, a double ender made in Rotterdam in 1937 named Dutch Maid. A gorgeous thing, that sailed like a witch!

On the way back in I managed to let Harvey get caught by a gust and caved in one of my stantion bases--Lou and I went over to his friend John's house and he was nice enough to cut a piece of Teak so I could effect a fix--its now stronger than any of the others--before and after photos attached.

Today I'm going shopping for provisions and heading south--Lou may be able to join me the end of next week as I get closer to Key West.

1 Comments:

At April 21, 2011 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Tracy Barrett said...

Good repair job! Did you take that photo of the ray?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home